Friday, July 09, 2004

1st gen Motorola MPx only has 32mb?

I am getting the impression that someone up there does not want me to throw my hard-earned cash at the Motorola MPx! As this article says, the first generation of MPx will be available in Oct (yippy) but only with 32mb of RAM (?!):
Now for the bad news: the MPX will only have 32Mb of RAM. On the phones he looked at, that left only 3-4MB of memory available for running programs. Motorola recognizes that that's a problem and is working very hard to upgrade the device to 48MB of RAM before it gets shipped. However, they said that chance was slim. They explained the problem away by saying that the device is mainly for use as a phone, not as a full fledged pocket pc.
That's bogus! My current PDA has 64mb of RAM, I am not "upgrading" to 32mb AND pay $900 for it. If I just want a simple phone, as the MPx is intended to be, I could get 3 or 4 for $900.